1844 1845 1846 - 1847 - 1848 1849 1850
| Decades: |
1810s 1820s 1830s - 1840s - 1850s 1860s 1870s
| Centuries: |
18th century - 19th century - 20th century
List of state leaders in 1847
- January 4 - Samuel Colt sells his first revolver pistol to the United States government.
- January 13 - The Treaty of Cahuenga ends the Mexican-American War in California.
- January 16 - John C. Fremont is appointed Governor of the new California Territory.
- January 30 - Yerba Buena, California is renamed San Francisco.
- February 19 - The Donner Party is rescued. It is noted that some of the survivors seem to be remarkably well-fed considering their ordeal.
- February 22 - Mexican-American War: The Battle of Buena Vista - 5,000 American troops under General Zachary Taylor use their superiority in artillery to drive off 15,000 Mexican troops under Antonio L├│pez de Santa Anna defeating the Mexicans the next day.
- March 1 - Faustin Soulouque declares himself Emperor of Haiti
- March 9 - Mexican-American War: United States forces under General Winfield Scott invade Mexico near Veracruz.
- March 29 - Mexican-American War: United States forces led by General Winfield Scott take Veracruz after a siege.
- May 7 - In Philadelphia, the American Medical Association (AMA) is founded.
- June 1 – First communist congress in London
- July 1 - The United States issues its first postage stamps.
- July 24 - After 17 months of travel, Brigham Young leads 148 Mormon pioneers into Salt Lake Valley, resulting in the establishment of Salt Lake City.
- July 26 - Liberia gains independence.
- August 12 – US troops of general Winfield Scott begin to advance along the aqueduct around Chalco and Xochimilco lakes in Mexico
- August 20 – US troops defeat Mexican troops in Valencia, Mexico
- September 6 - Henry David Thoreau leaves Walden Pond and moves in with Ralph Waldo Emerson and his family in Concord, Massachusetts.
- October 12 - German inventor and industrialist Werner von Siemens founds Siemens AG & Halske.
- Turkey cedes Abadan Island to Persia.
- Abd al-Kader is captured and imprisoned by the French.
- Mexican-American War (1846-1848)
- February 11 - Thomas Alva Edison, US inventor.
- April 10 - Joseph Pulitzer, journalist and newspaper publisher
- March 3 - Alexander Graham Bell, father of the telephone.
- June 11 - Millicent Fawcett, British suffragist and feminist
- November 26 - Princess Dagmar of Denmark, later Empress consort of Tsar Alexander III of Russia.
- December 7 - George Grossmith, English actor and comic writer, best remembered for his work with Gilbert & Sullivan († 1912)
- December 18 - Augusta Holm├Ęs, French composer
- Wong Fei Hung - Chinese folk hero
- January 19 - Charles Bent, New Mexico pioneer
- March 9 - Mary Anning, British paleontologist
- March 11 - Johnny Appleseed, pioneer, agronomist
- May 14 - Fanny Mendelssohn, composer and pianist
- Charles Hatchett, English chemist who discovered niobium
af:1847 ast:1847 bg:1847 ca:1847 cs:1847 cy:1847 da:1847 de:1847 et:1847 el:1847 es:1847 eo:1847 eu:1847 fr:1847 fy:1847 hr:1847 io:1847 is:1847 it:1847 he:1847 la:1847 hu:1847 nl:1847 no:1847 pl:1847 pt:1847 ro:1847 ru:1847 sl:1847 sr:1847 fi:1847 sv:1847 tr:1847 uk:1847 wa:1847 zh:1847年