The original Roman calendar consisted of 10 months (304 days). The Romans originally considered winter a monthless period. Circa 700 BCE Romulus'Numa_Pompilius" title ="Numa Pompilius">Numa Pompilius, added the months of January and February allowing the calendar to equal a standard lunar year (354 days). A Roman superstition against even numbers resulted in the addition of one day thus equalling 355 days. Although March was originally the first month, January usurped that position because that was when consuls were usually chosen.
The first day of the month is known as New Year's Day.
The Coming of age day in Japan is the second Monday of January, for those becoming 20 years old in the new calendar year. It is a national holiday. The day has existed since 1948, but fell on January 15 until 1999, when it was moved by the Japanese government in an attempt to lift the economy by making more holidays consecutive.
- The signs of the zodiac within the month of January are Capricorn (December 22-January 19) and Aquarius (January 20-February 18).
- In the sky, however, in January the Sun passes through the zodiac constellations Sagittarius and Capricornus.
- In regular years January begins on the same day of the week as October.
- In leap years January begins on the same day of the week as April and July.
- in the Irish Calendar the month is called Eanáir and is the third and last month of Winter.
- January'Flower" title ="Flower">flower is the snowdrop.
- January'Birthstone" title ="Birthstone">birthstone is the garnet.
|January | February | March | April | May | June | July | August | September | October | November | December|
af:Januarie an:Chinero ang:Se æfterra Géola ar:يناير ast:Xineru be:Студзень bg:Януари ca:Gener cs:Leden cy:Ionawr da:Januar de:Januar et:Jaanuar el:Ιανουάριος es:Enero eo:Januaro fr:Janvier fy:Jannewaris ga:Eanáir ko:1월 hr:Siječanj id:Januari is:Janúar it:Gennaio he:ינואר jv:Januari la:Ianuarius lt:Sausis lb:Januar hu:Január nl:Januari ja:1月 no:Januar oc:Genièr pl:Styczeń pt:Janeiro ro:Ianuarie ru:Январь sq:Janar simple:January sl:Januar fi:Tammikuu sv:Januari tl:Enero tt:Ğínwar tr:Ocak ur:جنوری uk:Січень vo:Yanul wa:Djanvî zh:1月