A temple is a structure reserved for religious worship or sacrifice. Some religions use this generic term:
- Buddhism (Shaolin)
- Temple at Uppsala
- Temple (Greek)
- Temple in Jerusalem
- Temple (Mormonism)
- Temple (Roman)
Some religions refer to their temples by a unique word of their own:
- a Christian temple is called a chapel, or a church, among others.
- a Jain temple is called a derasar
- a Hindu temple is variously called (in different languages) a mandir (Hindi), a kovil (Tamil) etc.
- an Islamic temple is called a mosque (masjid in Arabic)
- a Jewish temple is called a synagogue
In various historical periods, specific architectural styles were maintained strictly for major religious structures. These temple structures, along with military and palace structures, have often been the main surviving studied examples of certain kinds of architecture. In particular, Greek and Roman temple architecture has been a major influence in Western public architecture. See list of ancient temple structures.
Temple is also the name of some places in the United States of America:
- Temple, Georgia
- Temple, Maine
- Temple, Michigan
- Temple, New Hampshire
- Temple, Pennsylvania
- Temple, Texas
- and part of the name of:
The temple is the side of the head behind the eyes. Cladists classify land vertebrates based on the presence of an upper hole, a lower hole, both, or neither in the cover of dermal bone which formerly covered the temporalis muscle. Those with no holes are called Anapsida.
The adjective meaning "pertaining to the temple" is "temporal", not to be confused with "temporal" meaning "pertaining to time". The muscle whose origin is the temple and whose insertion is the jaw is called "temporalis".
- Temple University is an institution of higher learning in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Inner Temple and Middle Temple are places where barristers train in London. The region is sometimes called Temple, and there is a Temple tube station. The area is so called because long ago it belonged to the Knights Templar.
List of temples
de:Tempel et:Tempel fr:Temple la:Templum nah:Teokalli nl:Tempel ja:寺院 pl:Świątynia pt:Templo simple:Temple sv:Tempel